It’s easy to take electricity for granted. We use it every day without thinking about the potential dangers. However, if not used safely, electricity can be very dangerous. In this blog post, we will discuss 10 tips to ensure electrical safety at home. Follow these tips and you’ll be able to stay safe while using electricity!
Be Aware of Your Surroundings.
When you’re working with electricity, it’s important to be aware of your surroundings. Make sure that there are no people or pets near you that could get injured if something goes wrong.
Keep Cords and Wires Organised.
If cords and wires are left lying around, they can easily be stepped on or tripped over. This can lead to serious injuries. Keep cords and wires organised and tucked away where they can’t be stepped on.
Use The Right Tools.
When working with electricity, it’s important to use the right tools. Never use metal tools when working with electrical wiring. Metal tools can create a dangerous electrical short. If you are confident in doing some electrical work, then rubber gloves are a necessity!
Check The Wiring in Your Home.
If you’re unsure about the condition of your home’s wiring, have it inspected by a professional. Electrical wiring that is old or damaged can be very dangerous, any broken wires, or constant power cuts should be investigated by a trained electrician.
Be Aware of Weather Conditions
Electrical storms can be very dangerous. If you’re in the vicinity of a lightning strike, you could be seriously injured or even worse! Stay inside during electrical storms and avoid using any electronic devices that may be attached to an outside power unit, e.g., an extension cord/ power outlet.
Use Caution When Using Extension Cords.
Speaking of extension cords, they should only be used as a temporary solution. Never overload an extension cord or run it under furniture. Make sure that the extension cord is rated correctly for the power that you’re using. They are very useful but if they have too many devices attached, they can be dangerous!
Avoid Plugging in Too Many Things at Once
If you plug in too many things at once, you could create a dangerous overload condition. Only use as many plugs as are needed and make sure that they’re all plugged into outlets that have the correct amperage rating.
Don’t Touch Electrical Appliances With Wet Hands.
This point really should be common knowledge! If you touch an electrical appliance with wet hands, you could get a serious shock. Always dry your hands before using any electronic devices, even if you are touching a thicker wire, you simply cannot mess around with water and electricity!
Unplug Appliances When Not in Use.
If you are not using an appliance, it is important that you turn it off. If not, you may have a live and exposed cable in your home that could shock any innocent bystander or even a young child or pet as they tend to be very curious about these things.
Get a Home Safety Inspection.
The best way to ensure electrical safety at home is to have a professional home safety inspection done. A home safety inspector will check all of your home’s electrical wiring and make sure that it is up to code. Having a home safety inspection done is the best way to ensure your family’s safety.
Contact Ubitec Electrical Today
We’re able to work with you on your requirements to ensure that we can help you save time and money whilst still ensuring excellent quality.